Diarmuid Ó Briain, CEng
Role: Post-graduate Researcher.
Diarmuid Ó Briain is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with over 30 years experience in Telecommunications, Information Networking and Security. He has designed and implemented next-generation networks and information security solutions for major multi-national communications companies as well as serving as Chief Technical Officer for an Irish Internet Service Provider for over 5 years. Since 1999 he has also lectured on Telecommunications and Computing programmes at both the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) and the Institute of Technology, Carlow (ITC) in Ireland and more recently at the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology (CEDAT) at Makerere University. Diarmuid holds the City and Guilds Professional Awards awards of Graduateship (GCGI) from 1999 and the Membership (MCGI) awards in Engineering from 2007. He also received a Bachelor of Science (hons) in Computer Networking (First Class) from the Institute of Technology, Carlow and a Master of of Science in Telecommunications (by Research) from the Higher Education & Training Awards Council (HETAC), Ireland. He is a Fellow of both Engineers Ireland and the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET) and a member of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2018). A Proposed Architecture for Distributed Internet eXchange Points in Developing Countries. IST-Africa 2018, ISBN: 978-1-905824-59-5. 09-11 May 2018.
- Ó Briain, D. The Access Tier ISP, considering upstream connectivity. MikroTik User Meeting, Nairobi, Kenya. 30 Jan 2018.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2017). Rebuilding the Internet eXchange Point in Uganda. 28th Irish Signals and Systems Conference, 20/21 June 2017, Killarney, Ireland. DOI: 10.1109/ISSC.2017.7983593.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2017). Elastic Everything – What of the Developing World?. IST-Africa 2017 Conference 31 May – 02 June 2017, Windhoek, Namibia. DOI: 10.23919/ISTAFRICA.2017.8102289.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2017). A report on the status of Network Functions Virtualisation. (IBICIT-2017), ISBAT University, Uganda. 27 April 2017.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2016). The move to a software defined future and the implications for Uganda. NCC, Uganda. 15 September 2016.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2016). Network Revolution – SDN and NFV playing their part in the next Industrial Revolution. Symposium on Transformative Digital Technologies, Kampala 2016, 3 February 2016.
- Ó Briain, D., Denieffe, D., Kavanagh, Y., Okello, D. (2016). A future network architecture for Wireless ISPs leveraging SDN techniques. Poster Presentation. Symposium on Transformative Digital Technologies, Kampala 2016, 3 February 2016.
- Ó Briain, D. (2015). How FTTB pilot scheme helped company evolve into retail provider over new wholesale networks. Engineers Ireland eJournal, 16 June 2015.
- Ó Briain D. (2015). Open Networks. Free Technology Academy. 28 April 2015.
- Ó Briain D. (2014). Protecting the future of ICT – is Ireland being left behind?. Engineers Ireland eJournal. 14 October 2014.
- Ó Briain D. and Grandgeorge M. (2012). Telecommunications and the evolution toward the IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS). Engineers Journal Volume 66: Issue 4. July/August 2012.
- Ó Briain, D., Ó Sé, D. and Denieffe, D. (2010). Measurement and Analysis of Traffic Streams in Residential Broadband Networks. Institute of Technology Carlow, 29 November 2010.
- Ó Briain, D., Ó Sé, D. and Denieffe, D. (2008). Analysis of Traffic Streams for future Residential Networks. Poster Presentation. Research Alliance Colloquium, Cork Institute of Technology, 31 January 2008.